Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Care-Paula Experiment-Dish 3: Chocolate Creme Brulee

Yeah, I know what you're thinking . . . trying to make creme brulee when I'm this new to cooking is a bit ambitious. I agree. And, if I hadn't watched Paula make it on TV I would have just passed it right by in the cookbook. But she made it look so easy. It was!

As a bonus, we got to use the the blow torch for an activity not related to home repair, but that's another story.

The recipe is here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chocolate-creme-brulee-recipe4/index.html

It certainly is a rich dessert, but it tasted great. I served it with sliced banana on top. I definitely will make this again in the future - especially if we have company. (Look at me actually thinking of cooking for company!)

I did learn some tips while doing this that I'll pass along:

1. The chocolate flavored liqueur can be substituted for chocolate extract. I had trouble finding both on short notice so I left them out and substituted water. I think it was missing that little bit of punch, so I would not do that again.

2. Less is more when it comes to putting sugar on top for the caramelizing process. I was a bit heavy-handed on my first attempt.

Here's a pic. Enjoy!

With friendship,

Care'

No comments:

 
Copyright © 2010 Handmade with Care' | Design : Noyod.Com